My best snoot yet.
Materials: strobe head and paint can (www.flickr.com/photos/mgolbe/5784513864), cookie tin cover, cylindrical salt container, toiler paper roll, two eye hooks, Cinefoil (or black construction paper or flat black paint), tape and glue.
After being unsatisfied with the "spot" quality of previous snoots, useful thought they are, I decided there must be a reason the professional snoots are all made with a step-down design, with several cylinders of decreasing diameter.
A little googling and I knew why they did it. With matte black interiors, the light entering the last cylinder is all coming directly from the source; none is coming in at an angle, thus none is bouncing out (even off matte black) at an angle.
The proof is in the pudding. In the middle shot I’ve artificially made the snoot visible at the right edge. It would also be visible in the frame of the bottom shot, but I did no artificial enhancing.
In the top shot the exit of the snoot looks white because the strobe is firing. With my eye hooks tightened down the cookie tin makes a good seal with the paint can and there are few leaks.
Notice the nice edge of the lit area; the contrast is sharp and well over 20 stops.
Tagged: , snoot , strobe , studio , DIY